Welcome to my writers blog.

Writing to entertain and encourage other writers. To keep you informed of events, workshops, retreats and conferences available for writers.

The Love of Dance

Sunday 6 January 2013

Pick a page ...

Sorry for the delay in posting this week, but I've been rather busy taking my son back to university. The busy part was the preparations for the provisions he wanted to take with him - home baking. I've been making chicken curry, pasty pies, liver casserole and beef stew which all needed to be made and frozen before the journey to Portsmouth. He is now back and the house is very quiet. Which I guess gives me much more time to write. At least, that is what I am hoping.

I've been writing a journal every year since 2000. Many of the entries are awful but some are little gems. When I first started writing many years ago it was suggested to me to keep a dream diary, which I did for a while, but I ended up with very little sleep due to waking and writing and not getting back to sleep, so I'm advocating you do that. However if you don't keep a journal, why not? It is a place to put down  your own thoughts and ideas and to note down funny incidents you have encountered during the day. It is quiet interesting to go back over the old ones and read, you might be very surprised how many of your thoughts can produce a good storyline or plot.

I've titled this post as 'Pick a Page' which relates to a page from your journal. If you don't yet write a journal than that is another task for you to start. Purchase yourself a beautiful not book and start it helps to train your thoughts, focus your life and will in time hold a plethora of wonderful writing ideas.

So, find the first journal you wrote, count in twenty pages read your work. From that embellish and create a piece of writing. If you haven't started your journal writing yet then go to your book case and  from any shelf select the twentieth book and go to the twentieth page and read what is there to inspire a piece of your own writing. Please remember when using another book to inspire you make sure your finished work is original and unique.

So go on, get writing.

No comments: