Welcome to my writers blog.

Writing to entertain and encourage other writers. To keep you informed of events, workshops, retreats and conferences available for writers.

The Love of Dance

Thursday 26 June 2008

It is a business not a hobby.

As promised when I started this blog, I wanted to share the good and bad times with you. By that I don't mean my life, only my writing life.

So here goes:

The bad first. I received another rejection, but as rejections go it was basic and said nothing about the book or the plot, writing or target market. Which is frustrating, although you may think I should be upset about this, I'm not. I'm quite lucky in that I do have contact with publishers and other agents who take time to make personal comments on my work. It is obvious to me that the subject matter in this case didn't appeal to that particular agent. Therefore it is going off to another agent and with some luck it will be more to their liking. It is just a matter of finding an agent who loves my work as much as I do. On and up.

The good news: Well this is different. I'm off to Winchester Writers Conference again, but this time as a mentor. This means I'll be helping delegates find their way around and answering questions etc. I'm also looking forward to catching up with old friends I've made over the years along with the networking with possible new contacts. A few friends from my writing circle are attending for the first time, I hope they find it as informative and useful as I have over the years. I'll report back once I've attended and let you know how it all went.

I hope this helps you face rejection and realise that you will get rejected many times when you aim to be a writer. Even once published it isn't always guaranteed that you'll never receive a rejection. So my advice is 'get used to it' then it won't hurt quite so much or for as long. After all you are selling a product. It is a business not a hobby.

No comments: