Welcome to my writers blog.

Writing to entertain and encourage other writers. To keep you informed of events, workshops, retreats and conferences available for writers.

The Love of Dance

Saturday 28 June 2014

Thatched Cottage - Who is watching?

Happy Saturday to you all. It has been a good week at the day job – my decision making was upheld and it was good to use my brain for a while.  

I've been consciously trying to eat better, drink more water and exercise daily. For the last two weeks. It must be working as I ache gently – not a burning, just that nice tender ache that tells you that you have actually been toning up. Added to this exercise plan, I have been working in the garden and walking up and down the stairs at work. So hopefully I'm getting a little fitter. I was at work yesterday and was trying to explain to someone that I was doing planking. After failing to describe it effectively I dropped down on the office floor and did it, in high heels! I'm not very good at it yet, but I'm trying.

As promised last week, I have sent off two of my children’s novel samples with synopsis and covering letter. I hope they will be favourably received. I love both and hope they will too. I’ll let you know how it all turns out. In the meantime, I'm starting work on my next WIP which is a piece I've had dancing around in my head for a long while, now is the time to give her legs.

So to this week’s writing prompt. I have selected an image supplied by a friend of mine John Corkett of a thatched cottage at the junction of a road. 
Image by John Corkett
Look at the image. Imagine yourself living there, the furniture inside and the cottage garden that is surrounding it. Outside is a figure just out of view watching. What happens next? Who are they? What do they want? How long have they been standing there? Will they approach and knock on the door or enter through the window late into the night? Friend or Foe? Make this story light or dark but ensure you show us what is happening, remember to use dialogue and all the bells and smells to make this piece come alive.


Go on, get writing. 

No comments: