Welcome to my writers blog.

Writing to entertain and encourage other writers. To keep you informed of events, workshops, retreats and conferences available for writers.

The Love of Dance

Monday 26 November 2007

SCBWI Writers' Day

A brilliant day. Lots to do. Lots to learn and time to enjoy the day. This was my first visit to a SCBWI event and I will go again. In fact they are holding a conference in May, I believe, which is for a weekend - Friday through Sunday. It will include accommodation and food along with various events. They are currently putting this schedule in place and will soon let us know when and how much it will be. I'm eager to book my place already.
I attended the talk by Dianna Kimpton (The Princess Pony author) on how to write for a series and the pitfalls. I came away armed with so much information. I now feel confident that should that elusive series book deal be offered, I'll be in a position to pull it off.
Award winning David Almond got things rolling with his opening address. How wonderful it was. He spoke about how he became a children's writer and this inspired most of us. It took him seventeen years to get his first children's book deal. THERE IS HOPE!! Not only that he was an entertaining speaker and dare I say it - a thoroughly nice man.
Milling around in the crowd were many published authors and novices. Some on the brink of their first deal, others working on second books or complete novices here to pick up tips. During lunch I managed to get to chat with a couple of publishers and from this have been invited to submit samples of my work. This is a wonderful opportunity and one I'm going to grab with both hands. In fact I've already sent one manuscript pack off.
I must add here that I also bumped into Elizabeth Arnold (The Parsley Parcel & The Freya Trilogy). Elizabeth was one of the first people to say that I could write. For this I will be forever thankful.
The overall day was one of inspiration and encouragement. I can't wait for the conference.

No comments: