Welcome to my writers blog.

Writing to entertain and encourage other writers. To keep you informed of events, workshops, retreats and conferences available for writers.

The Love of Dance

Friday 27 April 2012

Topic Task - Week Twenty-Six

Submitting and receiving feed back about your work is a lot of what writing is about. Trying to find a home for your manuscript and the struggle to get the work under the nose of the right person is another major role of the writer.
Last week, I submitted a few items and so far have had one very quick and very helpful critique. The critique came with a rejection, but an open door should I decide to look again at my plot line or embark on something new. It was also nice to hear that my writing is: vivid and fluent; no problems there. The upshot is I have a lot of hard work ahead, but this is a challenge I will win.
My weakness, and that of many writers is the dreaded synopsis. I loath them with a passion, if only I could write them with a passion. The critique I received has shown that I have left out some very important sections from my synopsis and this was why the plot line was not as strong as it should have been. I'm rather excited about the work I now have to do, and the direction in which it will be going. I want you all to remember that rejection is not always a bad thing. It makes you become more aware of your own work and often gives a direction to improve.

So what is the topic task for this week?

Choose one of the options below.

1. To create a synopsis for a piece of your work or to find an old synopsis and revamp it or start a fresh.

2. How about getting a writing friend to swap manuscripts and write each others synopsis. Once this has been done share the results. Does the synopsis describe your plot correctly and completely?

3. If you don't yet have a manuscript to write a synopsis for, find a novel you know well and work out what the plot line is and write your own synopsis for it. You may be surprised what you find.

Okay, this is a challenging task. So what are you waiting for?

Get writing.


No comments: