Welcome to my writers blog.

Writing to entertain and encourage other writers. To keep you informed of events, workshops, retreats and conferences available for writers.

The Love of Dance

Sunday 27 January 2013

A passage of time.


Yes, I’ve managed to get on again and post this up. I’m sure my computer is going through the menopause; she is getting on now and only works when she wants to.
An element that can be difficult to show in a piece of writing is the pass of time. There are many ways in which authors show this passage which doesn’t interrupt the flow of the reading.  Some of the techniques include: Starting with the sunrise or sun set and mentioning the position of the sun throughout the piece. Others have included a time check but getting a character to check their watch at varied stages through the work, or starting sections with date and time.  There are many other ways too, but I’ll leave you to look these up and select a few that might help you show the passage of time throughout your writing.
I suggest there are two ways to approach this. Firstly, write a new piece of creative writing or secondly take a selection of work you’ve been working on/completed and rewrite to include the passage of time. If you do the second choice, does it help your work?
It would be great to hear from you, feel free to comment. If you want to share your work on my blog for comment from me or others please forward them to me at the website email address.
So what are you waiting for? Get writing. 

No comments: