Welcome to my writers blog.

Writing to entertain and encourage other writers. To keep you informed of events, workshops, retreats and conferences available for writers.

The Love of Dance

Sunday 20 April 2014

A Chance Encounter

Happy Easter. So far although I have a little Cadbury’s Chocolate Rabbit, sitting on the side I have yet felt inclined to bite its ears off. I'm saving that delight until later when I’ll have a cup of tea and bunny ears!
I had some new ideas about the design of my garden and have started to put them in to practice. I have managed to burn much of the dried wood from the ‘vicious’ pruning of the shrubs last September and the four fence panels that came down during the high winds more recently. I have a nice little burner and managed to get rid of most of the wood, but still have enough for another burn up. However, that will have to wait as the rain has come down today and everything is wet again. I'm going to be creating a new patio – it won’t be perfect, but I will have done it on my own and as long as I can put a patio set on it along with a couple of plants in pots I will be happy. Thankfully I'm a girl for the simple things in life. A good job really!

This week’s writing challenge is to write about a chance encounter. This is to be written in the first person and allow the thoughts and feeling of your character to show through and to engage your reader with them. There are two encounters you can select from or try both. Chance encounters can be exciting, enlightening, disturbing or downright boring. How you deal with the situations below is up to you, but whatever you do make it real.

1. You are standing looking at the train information at Euston Station when a famous person comes over to speak with you only you don’t realise who they are until halfway through your conversation. What do you do?

2. You are standing in the Victoria and Albert museum in London admiring the collection of Samurai Swords when you hear: “That’s what you plunged into my heart when you left?” What do you do?
Remember to use all the bells and smells with this, emotion must be at the forefront of you mind which will allow your reader to involve themselves with your story.


I hope you have fun with this, so go on, get writing. 

No comments: