Welcome to my writers blog.

Writing to entertain and encourage other writers. To keep you informed of events, workshops, retreats and conferences available for writers.

The Love of Dance

Saturday 15 June 2013

It is hard to write emotion.

I hope you've had a good writing week and are now ready for your weekly writing prompt. For me this week has seemed very long, but has been productive. I'm beginning to get back in to the swing of my WIP and liking what is appearing on the page. There is still a very long way to go, but it is moving and that is all I can ask at the moment.
I've made some writing decisions which means I won’t be able to attend Winchester Writers’ Conference this year. Instead I'm going to be locked away at my desk writing, which is what I need to do right now. The conference takes place from Friday 21st – Sun 23rd June 2013. It will be an inspiring event and if you are lucky enough to be attending you cannot help but to be inspired. The agents, editors, authors and book doctors are all there to help and guide you forward with our work. Many delegates attend every year to get that amazing buzz which revitalises them for the year, and many of those also attend Festival of Writing in York held in September to get a second boost. The networking at both these events, making friends and reconnecting with like-minded people all goes to increase your working knowledge of the publishing world and make you a better informed writer. Like life, writing is an ongoing process. We are always learning and developing skills and these events help you to recognise any weaknesses in your work and show you how to correct and improve your manuscripts. And to be honest, we all need a little guidance sometimes!
I thought that today we can look at gentleness and the pain of losing someone close to you. I find when writing these kinds of scenes it can be very helpful to call upon times in your own life that bring a tear to your eye, pain in your heart and anger to your mind. These, however, do need to be controlled emotions to come across well on the page. I have been known to cry whilst writing and a friend did get the full force of my anger when I answered the phone to her...thankfully she didn't put the phone down and we are still very good friends. I make sure I have the answer phone on all the time now when writing so this doesn't happen again. 

The prompts are: 

1.       Goodbye my sweet heart.
2.       She was so small.
3.       A happy life? Well possibly.
4.       And why should I care?

How you use these prompts is up to you. I was thinking It would be worth writing each as a scene and see where your emotions take you. Try to feel the power of your work as your write, you might be surprised at what you create.


So go on, get writing. 

No comments: