Welcome to my writers blog.

Writing to entertain and encourage other writers. To keep you informed of events, workshops, retreats and conferences available for writers.

The Love of Dance

Saturday 26 October 2013

Write up a storm.

I have had another busy week and the writing has had to go up a gear. Which is wonderful. I'm loving the material I am currently working on and feel really positive with the way things are appearing on the page. I know I have an awfully lot more to do, and once everything is written there will be much more for me to do and learn. With that scary thought in mind I'm still glad to be preparing for the next step – however long that might be in coming. I know that all the work and the effort is what I need to do to be able to spend every day writing. I don’t know if it will ever happen, but I will keep working until I can work no more.

With the storms lurking around us all here in England, I think it will be a great time to look at using the weather in our writing. So when the storm comes, take out your note book and write down what happens. From gentleness of a single leaf floating on a light breeze to the torturous scream of a giant oak being split in two. Listen to the wind, see how it changes, rises and falls, the change when it picks things up and drops them off. At the same time write down how that makes you feel. You will use this to show emotion in your characters. Also try to think of how our irrational fear of weather can affect us, or our over confidence that nothing will happen might be proved wrong.

So, you now have the notes, you need to put those into a piece of writing. Select one of the options below and make the weather prominent in your characters’ lives.

1.       Uncle and nephew taking the dog for a walk.
2.       Two couples out on a small sail boat.
3.       Lovers in a tent.
4.       A farmer and his herd of cattle.


I hope you will find some inspiration from this week’s prompts, so go on, get writing.  

No comments: