Welcome to my writers blog.

Writing to entertain and encourage other writers. To keep you informed of events, workshops, retreats and conferences available for writers.

The Love of Dance

Friday 2 January 2015

Happy New Year 2015 - 1st Prompt of the year.

We have stepped into the New Year and I hope it will bring you all some good times, some great times and some amazing times. None of us know what will confront us in the future but I know that we must all go out there and enjoy every moment. I for one intend to take up as many invitations, offers and chances that come my way, well as many as I can and at the same time seek out a dancing partner.

On the writing side I will be setting out my writing plan to allow me greater time to write and not just think about writing, which I do too often. This weekend I am setting out what I’m going to be submitting and where to. I'm hoping that with this new approach will allow me to move forward in my writing career. As always I’ll keep you all updated, with the highs and any lows that come my way. One of the things that keeps me going are the great comments on my work last year and the critiques which have given me great direction.

The next meeting of the Windmill Writers is Wednesday 7th January at 19:00-21:00 but people can continue longer if they wish. If you are interested in finding out more about the writing group please email: windmill.writers.hertfordshire@gmail.com The group meets weekly and welcome, new, developing and published writers. If you write or have ever been interested in writing now is the time to get in touch.

As a writer, I always keep a journal of my daily experiences both good and bad. I find writing down my thoughts and feelings at the end of the day allows me to utilise them when I'm creating a piece of writing. I find when reading some of my yearly journals back I get quite emotional, not just upset, but angry and often have a little chuckle to myself. I recently read one from 2001 quite an emotive time in my life and now with fresh eyes I see some great material. Beware if you were around in that year!!

So I come to my first writing prompt for 2015.

You need to use all the following words in a short story. The choice of genre is up to you, but each word has to appear somewhere in the piece.

Wasted – Suck - Mouldy – Creaky – Vacuous – Frilly – Toe-nails – Icing sugar – Dexterous.

I hope you have good fun experimenting with this prompt. Feel free to let me know how you got on.

So go on, get writing. 

No comments: