Welcome to my writers blog.

Writing to entertain and encourage other writers. To keep you informed of events, workshops, retreats and conferences available for writers.

The Love of Dance

Saturday 11 May 2013

Playing with words.

I'm loving this new desk placement. I look out across the road, from a top floor window and out across the fields. I guess the only downside to this is that I have noticed I can be easily distracted from writing by the rabbits, birds, deer and foxes periodically crossing my eye line. However, I put this down as a good thing, it gives my thoughts time to work through the scenarios I'm writing. Well that is my excuse and I'm happy with it. Add squirrels to the list!

The writing is actually coming on quite well. I've also realised that one of my children's book ideas, can be rewritten with a mythical link. I was watching a quiz program and they mentioned the creature's name and 'PING!' the idea popped into my head and I now have to dig out that manuscript, pull it apart and rework the plot. Can't wait to get started, but first I have a submission to complete and then I can move forward on the changes.

For this weeks task, I thought it might be fun to make use of a dictionary. I want you to select four separate sections in the dictionary A-Z and choose four words you would not normally use in your writing. Write these words down, along with their meaning, just in case you can't remember and put them to one side.
Then I want you to walk around your house looking out of the windows. (This can also be done in any building) Decide on the view of your choice. Open the window and listen carefully to the sounds and take in the aromas that assail you. Now you need to look out of this window for TEN minutes and absorb what you see, hear and smell. Make brief notes if it helps.Then go back to your computer or carry your note book back to your writing area and write a scene to show what you have experienced. To make it a little trickier, you have to include in the piece of writing the four words you previously selected - don't go and change them, challenge yourself, believe in your creative ability to use unfamiliar words to enhance your writing.

So go on, get writing.

No comments: